Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Throne of Glass Book Tag



I was tagged by Alexa of Alexa Loves Books to take part in this Throne of Glass themed tag, who started it along with Hannah of So Obsessed With. If you decide to partake in the tag yourself, make sure to link back to them!


Lysandra | A book with a cover change you loved | Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
I totally love these gorgeous eye covers with their foil jackets, even if I have no idea how they connect to the plot. Who cares? LOOK AT THE SHINY. Honorable mentions: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (and the rest of the series), Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi because OY that original cover and OOO to the replacement

Abraxos | A book that's better on the inside than it looks on the outside | Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger
NGL, I really hate that cover. I think the dude is totally cute and the people actually remember their characters, but I just find that a not appealing cover at all, which is unfair because the book is a delight. Honorable mention: The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (I don't know why I'm not drawn to this cover because I LURVE THE BOOK).

Erilea | A series with great world-building | Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Omg I don't even know where to start with this? I went with Uprooted because I really wanted to shout about it somewhere in this post and it totally fits here. It's a lush Polish-inspired fairy tale with a fully-realized system of magic, culture, and, well, a super creepy murder forest.  Honorable mentions to The Heart of Betrayal because I REALLY thinker it upped the level of that series LIKE WHOA, A Darker Shade of Magic because HOLY SHIT, and Six of Crows because it is actual p e r f e c t i o n


Rifthold | A book that combines genres | Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
There are probably other books that are a more conscious mash-up of genres, but 1) I just really, really wanted to shout about Six of Crows because it's bloody perfect, and 2) it's a FANTASY HEIST FANTASY HEIST HEIST + FANTASY, OCEAN'S ELEVEN + MAGICKSSSS. Honorable mention: Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendon, alt history + magic + steampunk

Damaris | A book based on/inspired by a myth/legend | Cress by Marissa Meyer
I really, really, really love Cress, okay? I JUST LOVE IT A LOT. Honorable mention: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Kaltain Rompier | A book with an unexpected twist | Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
I actually thought at one point I was going to THROW UP on the pages. Just full on THROW. UP.


Assassin’s Keep | A book with an unreliable narrator | Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas
Dangerous Girls was also a good option for this one, but if you ask me, the unreliability of the narrator in DB is even more deliciously dark and confusing.

Asterin Blackbeak | A book that’s got SQUAD GOALS | The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
GAH this one was tough. Part of me wanted to go with Six of Crows because OMG I LOVE THOSE CRIMINAL MISFITS, but then I thought of CassEmLyd from iThe Year of Secret Assignments and wanted to cry, and then there's that sassy bunch of crime solvers in Unspoken, and then there's the Thirteen themselves...but I had to go with Blue and her raven boys. Because of the feels exploding in my heart place.

Terrasen | A book that feels like home | The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
BECAUSE HOGWARTS WILL ALWAYS BE THERE TO WELCOME ME HOME


Aelin Ashryver Galathynius | A book with the power to destroy you | Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
Just???? Leave me here?????? To die????????????

Manon Blackbeak | A book that intimidated you | The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima
Ooo, these books scared the shit out of me, almost as much as The Lumatere Chronicles did, but I just put that in the previous answer. But yeah, I was totally scared of diving into this fantasy series but I was SO not disappointed. Honorable mentions: The Fault in Our Stars, for obvious reasons, Divergent by Veronica Roth, and Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Oh also The Song of Achilles because I'm not ready for that pain, but it doesn't count because I haven't read it.

Rowan Whitethorn | A book that makes you swoon | Every Breath by Ellie Marney
Oh dear christ this is practically every book I have ever loved, but I'm going to go with the Every Breath series (all three of them, okay, ALL THREE OF THEM) for Wattscroft reasons. Honorable mention: my entire bookshelf.


Chaol Westfall | A book that challenged you to see things differently | Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I had a hell of a time coming up for an answer for this one, and then i realized that I had to look at this question...well, a bit differently. Fangirl made me look at myself differently, and reevaluate my own behaviors and neuroses and anxieties in the way they very closely line up with Cath's. Honorable mention: None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio.

Fleetfoot | A book that you received as a gift | Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
Given to me by the lovely Carla! I loved Lord's The Start of me and You, so I fully intend to love ORS as well, once I finally get to it. Honorable mention: Melina Marchetta's entire collected works (you know who you are)

Eye of Elena | A book you found right when you needed it | Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce
This book, and all of Tamora Pierce's Tortall books, introduced me to high fantasy and lady warriors and was really my introduction to YA and what it would become to me. Don't know where I'd be if I hadn't found Alanna at the impressionable age of elevenish. Honorable mentions: Harry Potter, natch, at the age of six, and Twilight at seventeen, as detailed by this post.

Tagging:
Meg from Cuddlebuggery
Anybody at Paperiot
Jessie from Ageless Pages
Morgan from Gone With the Words
Christina from A Reader of Fictions

And anybody else who would like to partake!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you did the tag right away!! And your answers are spectacular <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your answers!!! I mean, you basically named every book I've loved in the past few years haha :D

    Uprooted had the most amazing world building! And I need to read Six of Crows, I'm scared of the hype but everyone's been loving it!

    OT5 SQUAD GOALS YAAAS. Yeah I'm probably stealing Hogwarts for my answer too <3

    Eeeeee Every Breath is a great swoon answer :D It's going to be so hard to choose books for this tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answers and totally agree that Dangerous Girls and Dangerous Boys have unreliable narrators... I love those books! This tag is so cool and I really must do it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)